Natural resources form the backbone of our economy, our quality of life, and our Tennessee heritage. Tennessee’s leadership in environmental sustainability offers many benefits for our citizens. Clean renewable energy will create jobs, reduce health care costs, enhance national security, restore our environment, protect our children and make our state a leader in climate change solutions. Green means business in Tennessee!
Tennessee Environmental Council helped launch the Sustainable Tennessee coalition in 2007, with the goal of developing a statewide Sustainability Agenda which includes the input of a broad group including citizens, conservation groups, environmental policy experts, elected officials, and representatives of private businesses, industry, educational institutions and more (over 750 participants and 250 organizations statewide since 2007 have contributed). The coalition focuses on priority issues related to land, air, water, energy and transportation. For 2013 these priorities include energy efficiency, mountaintop removal coal mining, recycling & composting, and fracking in Tennessee.
Meetings and Infrastructure
Sustainable Tennessee provides an infrastructure to help our diverse coalition members work together. This infrastructure includes a series of meetings and workshops throughout the year. Please check the Council Events page for exact dates and details:
- Sustainable TN Policy & Practice Meeting – August 20
- Sustainable TN Summit – October 29 Chattanooga
- Sustainable TN Regional Summit – Dec 3 Gallatin TN
- Legislative Training with Stewart Clifton – January TBA
- Press Conference and Conservation Education Day (Day on the Hill Event) – February 19
- Quarterly “Brown Bag” Lunch Meetings with TN Dept of Environment and Conservation (TDEC) – Next Scheduled Nov 14
- Sustainable TN Task Force Meetings (See Info Below) – Occur every other week from August – May
Sustainable Tennessee Agenda
The Sustainable Tennessee Agenda provides a roadmap for policy and practice initiatives in Tennessee to protect and re-vitalize our economy, our communities, and our quality of life. Read and sign the Sustainable Tennessee Agenda
Energy Efficiency - Gallatin Coal Plant
Recycling & Composting
Sustainable Tennessee has several major events throughout the year including the Summit, Press Conference, Conservation Education Day and our Policy & Practice meeting. For the latest information on these and other Sustainable TN meetings:
- Visit the Council Events Page for current meeting dates
- Join our email list
- Join the Sustainable Tennessee Task Force - The Task Force is made up of leaders from participating organizations and businesses. The Task Force helps with the planning and implementation of Sustainable Tennessee events and initiatives. We have conference calls every-other-week from August to May. Group members communicate using our Google Group network and a shared Google Calendar. To join, please contact gretchen(at)tectn.org with the subject line “Task Force”.
- Follow us on Social Media:
Our Toolkit can help you or your group work with the Tennessee State Legislature through phone calls and letters, engaging the media, and advancing important issues. Are you a non-profit organization? The toolkit includes current guidelines and restrictions on “lobbying” for 501c3 organizations – you can do a lot more than you think! Click here for Advocacy Toolkit.
House and Senate Natural Resources Committees:
Because of the House and Senate Natural Resources Committees’ key role in the enactment of new laws in our state, they are instrumental in our work to educate and advocate for the conservation and improvement of Tennessee’s environment, communities and public health. It is important for committee members to hear from their constituents – who live in their legislative districts – on issues that have a personal impact for their constituents. Click here to find your Representative and Senator and learn more.
Explore our History
- Click here for an Archive from Past Summit’s and other events.
- Click here for Media Coverage and Success Stories.
Sustainable Tennessee is a project of the Tennessee Environmental Council in association with Tennessee Conservation Voters.